MEDDPICC® is NOT a Sales Process
During the course “Introduction to MEDDIC” at MEDDIC Academy, we explain that there is no such thing as the MEDDPICC® sales process. There, we explain that MEDDPICC® is a sales methodology which works with your existing sales process. In other words MEDDPICC® is process-agnostic. If that’s true, so what is this title then? It doesn’t make sense, does it?
“Ok, but Where Do I Start From?”
Well, here’s a frequent question I get from our course attendees from time to time: “This is all cool. But where do I start from?” or, “In which order should we apply the elements of MEDDPICC?“. Or, “Should I start by gathering Metrics, defining the Decision Process or meeting with the Economic Buyer?”. These questions come often from more junior reps but they’re very legit. Those of you who have taken the full course know that there is no order in executing the different elements of MEDDPICC. These elements are rather a checklist of things to do then things to do in a given order. But even for more senior reps, they still usually take some actions often before others, right?
Also, it may make sense when there’s no existing sales process. This is the case in early stage startups. It’s also common in a small business which is trying different sales processes to see which one is working better. A mature large and growing business, has usually figured their winning sales process and should integrate MEDDPICC into that existing process.
So replying to “Where do I start from?” is easy: You always start from customers’ pains aka goals. Ok, then if there is a clear response to that, then what’s the answer to “what do I do next?” ? One good answer would be: “ask them what are the different ways to remedy the pains or to reach goals?”. You are indirectly asking about competition, including internal solutions, change of process, or any solution. So if I can answer clearly to the above, maybe , after all, there is a MEDDPICC Sales Process, at least a typical one.
How about a typical sales process ?
“Typical”, yes that’s the word. Another way to look at the sales stages within the framework of MEDDPICC is considering a “typical” MEDDPICC sales process. Companies have different sales processes, yet we all expect it to be close to the typical process we have in mind. For instance, the chart below is considered as one of the most typical sales process charts.
The above chart is a typical sales process everyone in sales would admit; even though everyone may use a slightly different language with slightly different stages.
In a similar way, what is the typical sales process, when using the MEDDPICC sales methodology?
Here’s the answer:
Stages Of A Typical MEDDPICC Sales Process
- Start with the customer’s PAIN or GOALS.
- Quantify them
- Identify potential Champions
- Understand what it costs if not addressed.
- Understand who in the organization is hurt when the pain is not addressed.
- Or if it is presented as a goal, who in the organization is going to profit from achieving goals.
- Develop Champions
- Ask them about the multiple ways they can address the pains
- Get a view of the Competition landscape, including internal and no-decision
- Understand and negotiate the Decision Process along the way
- Test the Champions
- Ask them how they would choose among different options,
- Get the Decision Criteria
- Assess the Value Triangle and your Unique Differentiators
- Confirm all the above with the Economic Buyer
- Confirm the need for the proof and ask for success criteria with the EB
- Empower the Champions
- Conditionally Close on the Economic Buyer
- Consider exiting each time a significant part of the above is missing
- Show Proof with Metrics, prove value
- Develop ROI, payback pitch
- Understand, go through and negotiate the Paper Process
- Return to the Economic Buyer with the proposal and the ROI pitch
- Ask Champions for support
Obviously if you have not taken the full MEDDIC courses nor joined our workshops, the real actions and meanings behind each of the above may appear blurry; you should take either the Full MEDDPICC or the Advanced MEDDPICC course now. But these are pretty much the stages of a sales process within the framework of MEDDPICC, in a hyper-compact version.
I’ll develop more on this as we go, but let me know what you think. As always, I would love to read your feedback. What do you think?
If you like it, share it on your preferred social media.
Comments are closed.